SEB Safety Tip of the Day: Don’t drink Tiki Torch fuel.

In what is yet another example of the sort of thing I wouldn’t have thought people would have to be told not to do comes the following news story out of West Virginia:

The West Virginia Poison Center reports that so far this year four people have been treated for drinking the refillable liquid that fuels the tropical-themed torches, popular as patio décor and a favorite for backyard parties.

The yellowish oil frequently is left sitting out and mistaken for a beverage, said Dr. Elizabeth Scharman, director of the poison center.

“People were at a picnic and thought it was apple juice and swallowed it,” Scharman said of one call the center received this year.

Folks, don’t drink the Tiki Torch fuel. It’ll make you sick and ruin your BBQ. Granted a couple of these incidents were children who probably don’t know any better, though I don’t recall my parents ever having to teach me not to drink the stuff, but if they’re sufficiently young then I can understand. I don’t understand the adults who are doing this.

And while you’re at it, don’t drink the fluid in those damn glow sticks either. Apparently a shit load of you people have been doing that as well:

[M]ore than 193 people in the state—many of them children—reported ingesting glow products, the liquid used to light children’s toys and the necklaces and bracelets that are sold at many fairs, festivals and fireworks displays.

That number rose from 143 glow-related calls in 2006, according to data from the poison center’s annual reports.

[…] “They used to be novelty items,” she said. “Now you can go into any store around the holidays and buy them.”

Many makers of glow products say the materials are non-toxic. Typically, they are made from a combination of hydrogen peroxide, a dye and various chemicals that cause the glow.

The West Virginia Poison Center receives most of its calls about glow products from worried parents whose toddlers have chewed through the plastic and ingested the liquid inside.

Even some pet owners have called the poison center after animals turned the glow sticks or jewelry into chew toys.

Which reminds us to remind you not to give glow sticks to toddlers or your pets. Fortunately for the clueless people who are drinking their glow sticks the amount of fluid involved probably means they won’t die from it, but it will burn your mouth and hopefully teach you to be careful of what you put into it.

Seriously, 193 people in West Virginia alone tried to drink those things? Makes some of the jokes about that state seem a little more believable…

2 thoughts on “SEB Safety Tip of the Day: Don’t drink Tiki Torch fuel.

  1. Makes some of the jokes about that state seem a little more believable…

    do you mean like this one.

    did you know that the tooth brush was invented in west virginia?

    if it had been invented anywhere else, it would have been called a teeth brush.

  2. BAHAHA I stumbled across your article while searching for proof that using a blow torch to brown creme brule is hazardous to one’s health. Your candor reminds me of that of the late great George Carlin. My sister drank glow stick juice when she was 4 and I was 6. I noticed she was spitting out glowing shit onto the floor of the jeep and I thought she was going to die. My dad was driving; he became extremely agitated because I was crying hysterically, but he did not stop, and she turned out to be okay.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.